[LRUG] The BBC is looking for Ruby Developers

Anthony Green anthony.green at bbc.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 09:49:40 PDT 2011

Glenn Gillen wrote:

> No, I'm a big advocate for test driven design. I think there is a tendency with the cucumber/rspec suite for people to mistakenly think they've taken a BDD approach purely because of the tools they've used. In reality, it's the conversations and the less-technical stuff that happens that makes those tools really useful. If cucumber facilitates that process then fantastic, you should definitely use it. But at least take the time to step back and evaluate if actually improving the process. I get the feeling not many do that.

We've exactly that problem outside our team and that's one of the
reasons we're recruiting for these roles. All acceptance criteria should
be collaboratively written is the opinion of the discipline lead.

Because we pair 100% of the time in the apprentice trials, Cucumber has
also proved useful in teasing out additional requirements as part of the
design conversation the pair has at the start of the BDD cycle.

--
Anthony Green
Software Apprentice