[LRUG] The BBC is looking for Ruby Developers

Eleanor McHugh eleanor at games-with-brains.com
Fri Apr 29 05:44:41 PDT 2011

On 22 Apr 2011, at 08:58, John Winters wrote:
> On 22/04/11 08:51, Anthony Green wrote:
>> John Winters wrote:
>>> There's lots of lovely stuff going on nowadays, formalising what have
>>> always been good techniques, but once you give them a name it's much
>>> easier to sell them.
>>
>> XP is now 15 yrs old so Kent Beck didn't make that good a job of
>> monetising it. Agile is 10 yrs and though the term is ubiquitous the
>> practices aren't.
>
> But it so often works that way.  I've frequently seen things ride to popularity and thought, "but that's been around for years".  What happens is that someone manages to find a way of explaining it that appeals to others, and then suddenly it takes off.  I've been reading up about Agile for a while and so much if it isn't new, but suddenly it has a name.

Unfortunately once something has a name it also tends to ossify, which in the case of design and development practices is yet another source of technical debt (as if there weren't already enough of those).

>> 'Scrumfail' on the other hand is insidious.
>
> Another word for me to go and look up.

And then marvel that anyone can muck up such a simple and intuitive methodology ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel