[LRUG] Frameworks for Mobile Development with Ruby

Jairo Diaz jairodiazs at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 04:44:49 PDT 2011

Answers below:

- On Fri, 4/15/11, Kenneth Lee <kenfodder at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Kenneth Lee <kenfodder at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LRUG] Frameworks for Mobile Development with Ruby
To: jairodiazs at yahoo.com, "London Ruby Users Group" <chat at lists.lrug.org>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2011, 12:32 PM

    What do you mean by "with Ruby on Rails"? I'm assuming you mean the
    mobile app that will talk to an API or view HTML served from a Ruby
    on Rails server?

Yes, this is what I intend to say. In the examples I have seen, a ruby on rails controller might be slightly modified to account for differences in the protocol received from the handset, that may include additional HTTP headers, etc.

    Or there is possibility of building an mobile app using the Ruby
    language in that case Rails has nothing to do with it?

Yes, this is another option and I am interested in this one, too. You can have ruby on top of a SDK for a given handset. I have seen that JavaScript is being used with SDKs for iPhone.

    I can recommend stuff but I'm unsure what you are asking in the
    first place. Hope this gives you more clarity.

Thanks Kenneth, both would be relevant depending on the application functionality. If the mobile application needs access to resources from the Web, then a ruby on rails back-end could be used to provide these inputs.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

/Jairo

            Jairo Diaz wrote:

              15 April 2011 10:11
              Hi all,
                Can someone recommend please a framework for Mobile
                  Development for Android/iPhone with Ruby on Rails?
               Many thanks,
                Jairo