[LRUG] The BBC is looking for Ruby Developers

Anthony Green anthony.green at bbc.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 11:07:06 PDT 2011

Paul Robinson wrote:

> This sounds like a similar but bigger/re-hashed/permanent version of a 3-month contract gig I interviewed at White City for at the start of the year, which I was offered but *very* reluctantly turned down because on the same day - 2 hours after interviewing at the BBC - I was offered equity in a start-up with a proven business model. I'll go for start-up over "enterprise" every time if the numbers stack up.

> I recall gently pointing out in my interview that it seemed like there were deeper issues at hand than simply getting Cucumber features involved in developing code and having a test champion on the team.

There are legacy issues we so yes I'd prefer revolutionaries to rabbits.
TDD is far far more than "simply getting Cucumber features" into your
project BTW.

> I think you'll need to spend some time dealing with big picture stuff as well as being great at developing tests.

Not necessarily but yes ideally we'd want someone who'd work to support
us in setting up things like training initiatives etc

> Beware if you're considering it though, many colleagues within BBC Future Media are likely to be moving to Salford this year.

All those going to Salford, know they're going and AFAIK all jobs that
are moving are advertised as such.

> any true XP evangelist is going to get seriously hacked off at the dual-site setup that is going to be emerging

If Aidy Lewis isn't a true XP evangelist then I'm sure I don't know who is.

--
Anthony Green
Software Apprentice