[LRUG] The BBC is looking for Ruby Developers

Glenn Gillen glenn at rubypond.com
Fri Apr 22 09:39:50 PDT 2011

On 22 Apr 2011, at 09:30, Anthony Green wrote:
> Glenn Gillen wrote:
>> I have massive reservations with cucumber, rspec, and others that I don't think I've been shy about voicing
>
> Are your reservations with the tools or the notion of Test-driven design ?

No, I'm a big advocate for test driven design. I think there is a tendency with the cucumber/rspec suite for people to mistakenly think they've taken a BDD approach purely because of the tools they've used. In reality, it's the conversations and the less-technical stuff that happens that makes those tools really useful. If cucumber facilitates that process then fantastic, you should definitely use it. But at least take the time to step back and evaluate if actually improving the process. I get the feeling not many do that.