[LRUG] Frameworks for Mobile Development with Ruby

Kenneth Lee kenfodder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 06:39:48 PDT 2011

Any mobile app can talk to any back-end so my first point is not worth
discussing, as all you're doing is talking http via xml or json.

As for building mobile apps that's a topic of it's on. You can simply
build a mobile web optimised site which essentially is like a webpage
(HTML/JS/CSS) that looks good on a mobile browser. One up from that you
can take that site and extract the HTML/JS/CSS and wrap it in a WebView
App, common one here is PhoneGap which is just an app that fires up an
internal browser and loads the webpage using local files (bit like
double clicking on a index.html file on you computer) and uses JS
bridges to access native components.

Third way is go more native but use other tools to achieve like
RhoMobile (Ruby/HTML/JS/CSS) which is WebView based but actually has a
local web server on the phone, Titanium (HTML/JS/CSS) actually converts
your code to native components.

Fourth way is going totally native, possible using Titanium with JS.

If you really need to use Ruby then RhoMobile is you only choice I
think. Although building desktop apps you can use Ruby with Titanium for
some reason.

I've done the PhoneGap route and pure Native route. Depending on how
complicated your app is, my personal experience is Native if you're
doing a lot of synchronization and offline capabilities otherwise simple
apps PhoneGap is brilliant.

Good luck,

Ken