[LRUG] Chef or Puppet

Thom May thom at may.lt
Tue Aug 2 06:40:13 PDT 2011

In my experience the pain point is getting used to using configuration
management, rather than the complexity of the tool itself.
Chef and Puppet are pretty similar in terms of operation - you have
recipes/manifests that contain resources, which are the core unit of
automation for both tools.
In my experience, Chef is somewhat better to approach as a programmer,
but I've no experience of the Puppet ruby DSL (luke was pretty
unconvinced about the need for such a thing when I stopped using
Puppet).
Aren't there both Puppet and Chef talks next week anyway?
Cheers,
-Thom