[LRUG] Chef or Puppet

Jay Caines-Gooby jay at gooby.org
Tue Aug 2 07:25:12 PDT 2011

On 2 August 2011 14:32, Riccardo Tacconi <rtacconi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember I attended the Chef and Puppet talk last year (or may be it was
> 2009). However I do not have a clear picture of which I should choose. I
> have been using Chef from yesterday but I find it complex and although the
> site has many documents, I find myself lost. I saw that Puppet have a new
> book written by on the the Lruggers, so I could buy that book and start from
> one point and move forward.

I've found Vagrant really useful; it lets you choose from Chef or
Puppet to configure new machines, so it's a good way to see which
system you prefer.

http://vagrantup.com/

After using it to try a few simple recipes, I realised just how
powerful Vagrant itself is for distributing images to developers and
designers, plus the potential for identical server installs, so I'm
now going crazy with a bunch of recipes.

If Chef ends up being your thing, here are a couple of nice repos with
almost everything you're likely to need:

https://github.com/opscode/cookbooks
https://github.com/37signals/37s_cookbooks

--
Jay Caines-Gooby