[LRUG] e-petitions site

Alan Buxton alanbuxton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 03:15:31 PDT 2011

Very unfortunate for them that the new e-petition site was launched at just
the same time as all the excitement about the death penalty debate was
happening. I would hazard a guess that this alone would have sparked many
more visits to their site than I think they would have expected prior to
go-live.

Once the team have nailed their performance problems then hearing from them
what happened, how they fixed it, what they've learnt etc would make a
really interesting future LRUG talk/case study. Any chance of that
happening?

FWIW ref the original question - I support James Harrison's view of keeping
an eye on your slow pages and your slow queries and always always making
them faster,  before they become the bottleneck. I really like the new relic
monitoring (www.newrelic.com) and you apparently get it for free with a
number of hosting companies.

With the types of apps that I tend to do I have always found getting half a
dozen people with a few browsers to hammer the site (perhaps running on a
number of VMs) gives you a great indication of where your bottlenecks are
going to be. Dunno if I dare mention it on this list but I've also got HP
LoadRunner for some of our load tests currently (long story).