[LRUG] Chef or Puppet

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 07:13:27 PDT 2011

On 2 August 2011 15:48, George Ornbo <george at shapeshed.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 03:32:16PM +0200, Riccardo Tacconi wrote:
> > However I do not have a clear picture of which I should choose.
>
> I looked at both before choosing Puppet, mainly because I found more
> resources on it. A plus for Chef is that it has a pure Ruby DSL. Puppet
> is moving to pure Ruby but I don't think it has been fully implemented
> yet.
>
> > I have been using Chef from yesterday but I find it complex and although
> the
> > site has many documents, I find myself lost.
>
> I also found it a steep learning curve to start with on Puppet. I
> purchased Pulling Strings with Puppet which was worth the investment.
> Buy a book - it is a complex subject.
>
> > I could buy that book and start from one point and move forward.
>
> You could also attend next month's meetup[1] where there is a talk on
> Puppet and another on Chef. I suspect there will be a few sys admin bods
> there - I'd be happy to share my knowledge of getting going with Puppet
> in the pub!

Regarding the meeting in August I should get a plane to be able to attend it
:-( I will watch the video (if it will be posted). The talk I was talking
about was this one: http://lrug.org/meetings/2009/10/.

I have found a comparison here: http://bitfieldconsulting.com/puppet-vs-chef.
I think he is the Lrugger I was talking about. I just want to install a
couple of servers with a LAMP stack, Passenger and I want to make that
installation repeatable for other servers.

Thanks for sharing links of books and your thoughts.

> [1] http://lrug.org/meetings/2011/07/18/august-2011-meeting/
>
> --
> George Ornbo
> http://shapeshed.com

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi