[LRUG] To debug the impossible bug

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 05:44:34 PDT 2011

Ah, well, probably not then :)  Although once ActiveRecord has got it's
grubby mitts on things who knows what might happen given that what you are
delegating to might be an association object which is never really nil
(proxy objects woo!) until you least expect it.

Speaking of AR, is it possible that @question is a scope call that hasn't
resolved yet?  e.g. it's not nil, because it's a scope proxy object, but
when you try to call a method on it, it resolves the scope to fetch the
object, which then turns out to be nil?  (I am clutching at straws here I
think).

On 3 August 2011 13:29, Viktor Tron <viktor.tron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Muz, explicit delegation gives you runtime error
>
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :078 > class T; delegate :t, :to => :nilf; def nilf; end
> end
>  => nil
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :079 > @q=T.new
>  => #<T:0x9887800>
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :080 > case when @q then @q.t end
> RuntimeError: T#t delegated to nilf.t, but nilf is nil: #<T:0x9887800>
>
> although yes can think of a few convoluted ways to get the impossible bug
> for lols:
>
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :066 > class T; def self.t; @t.t end end
>  => nil
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :067 > @q=T
>  => T
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :068 > case when @q then @q.t end
> NoMethodError: undefined method `t' for nil:NilClass
>

> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :069 > class T; def self.t; raise(NoMethodError,"undefined
> method `t' for nil:NilClass") end end
>  => nil
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :070 > @q=T
>  => T
> ruby-1.9.2-p180 :071 > case when @q then @q.t end
> NoMethodError: undefined method `t' for nil:NilClass
>        from (irb):69:in `t'
>

> but seriously Tats got a point, look at the backtrace to make sure
> NoMethodError is coming from
> the case statement itself, not from inside the WhateverQuestionClass#**background
> method.
>
> hth vik
>

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 13:21:21 +0100, Murray Steele <murray.steele at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Hi Simon,
>>
>> I don't suppose that the background of a question is a delegate method?
>>  E.g. the question is not nil, so the case fires that branch, but the
>> object
>> that the question delegates background to *is* nil so you get the
>> NoMethodError.
>>
>> Muz
>>
>> On 3 August 2011 12:59, Tatsuya Ono <ononoma at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> It is a quite interesting problem. What I suspected were ...
>>>
>>> 1) Multithread issue
>>> Daniel pointed out already and you seemed confident that it is not the
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> 2) Error happened different place.
>>> e.g.