[LRUG] To debug the impossible bug

Simon Coffey simon at tribesports.com
Wed Aug 3 06:15:05 PDT 2011

Hi Tatsuya,

Thanks very much for the response. Instrumenting this particular
method is definitely next on the list - I was a bit loath to stick
debugging code on production, but it looks like the only option.

On 3 August 2011 12:59, Tatsuya Ono <ononoma at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) Error happened different place.
> e.g.
> class Question
>   def background
>     return @something.background # <= NoMethod error @something is nil here
>   end
> end
> I know that unless you are bit careless, you wouldn't miss the backtrace.

Yep, sorry for not including the backtrace - unfortunately Hoptoad
(now AirBrake), the service we use to trap exceptions, has scrubbed
the backtrace so I can't copy it here. However as I said in my reply
to Murray, Question#background isn't a particularly interesting
method, it's just an ActiveRecord attribute accessor, and not one
we've overridden or delegated in any way.

Thanks again - I'll definitely be posting back results as and when we
get to the bottom of this. :-)

Cheers,
Simon