[LRUG] August meeting: last minute speaker request

Sam Livingston-Gray geeksam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:37:18 PDT 2011

FWIW, there were a few really cool talks at Cascadia RubyConf this
past weekend that you may find of interest.  It's probably not the
most enjoyable thing for folks to get together and just watch a video
(nor, with any of the Rubyists I know, would it be possible for them
to remain silent), but perhaps you'd like something to heckle, or
maybe someone wants to watch one or two ahead of time and summarize
for the group.

Here's a link to the Portland Ruby Brigade's notes thread for our last
meeting, including my quick summary of the conference:
http://groups.google.com/group/pdxruby/browse_thread/thread/2afe2eedaad72476

If you just want the videos, see:  http://confreaks.net/events/cascadiaruby2011

Not all the videos are up yet (last I heard, the Confreaks folks are
somewhere on the Oregon coast with poor connectivity), but of the ones
posted as of this writing, I highly recommend Corey Donohoe's
"Shipping at the Speed of Life," wherein Corey talks about deployment
and fun hacking at Github.  (When the day 2 lightning talks are
posted, make sure to scrub through looking for Aaron Patterson's talk
about the history of ladles.  It's hilarious.)

Cheers,
-Sam