[LRUG] Sites drop off web

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Mon Aug 8 03:53:36 PDT 2011

Tim,

> I had a similar problem with CentOS. mysqldump was stalling everything for a couple of minutes when it ran.
>
> Saw some pretty epic query times popping up in NewRelic RPM around that time. The site just stalled for a few minutes.
>
> Pingdom reported a minute or two of downtime.

Thanks for the information.  I use mysqldump too -- with increasing reluctance because I've been seeing the same behaviour as you.  As a stopgap measure I wrapped it in a timeout[1] but I think the real solution is to move to Postgres and whatever backup mechanism it has.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] https://github.com/airblade/mysql_s3_backup/commit/457d73efeb47dbb26f0ad8782776cbec490d5f05