[LRUG] puppet or chef [was: availability of talks]

Viktor Tron viktor.tron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:50:28 PDT 2011

Hello list,

First of all thanks to Paul and Gareth for this material, great timing for
me.

I set up a vagrant box (well, a long story in itself :) and started
playing with provisioning.
After I read this http://bitfieldconsulting.com/puppet-vs-chef, I started
with puppet.

I need to build a complicated stack including rvm, which already broke me:

since Paul's example is ubuntu specific, the closest generic recipe I
found was this:
https://github.com/blt04/puppet-rvm, which

- requires puppet > 2.6.7 which is not packaged for ubuntu 11.04
- needs puppet to run twice
- and in general looks quite idiosyncratic to use

After I found this impressive piece of work
https://github.com/fnichol/chef-rvm
I am considering switching to Chef.

I would love to hear pros and cons (mainly from a rails perspective) in
particular:

- do you use your provision agent for deployment? which allows for better
management of rake tasks, cron, db privileges, etc
- if you use public recipes/modules, how do you manage their updates?
- any pointers to good resources for your typical rails stack using
puppet/chef would be fab

thanks a lot

Vik