[LRUG] puppet or chef [was: availability of talks]

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Fri Aug 19 03:19:20 PDT 2011

> I wouldn't install puppet through aptitude. Better to use RubyGems. If

Another option, which we use, is to bootstrap the server using puppet
installed via aptitude (or apt-get, in our case), but then have the
latest puppet installed by the aptitude version, by specifying puppet
as something puppet needs to install.

It means it takes two puppet runs to bring the box fully up to its
working state, but that's not really a problem. Plus, it's perversely
self-referential, which I like.

David