[LRUG] Testing standards

J. Pablo Fernández pupeno at pupeno.com
Thu Aug 25 08:40:41 PDT 2011

At the company I'm working right now there are no standards, except that you
are expected to write tests.

One policy I like is: no commits while the build is red (except to fix the
build of course). Obviously, you should run the tests before committing, but
hey! sometimes we forget, and sometimes the tests take half an hour to run
and almost nobody ever runs them completely.

About libraries... we have several projects with different libraries. The
big policy here is: don't add libraries just because. If the project uses
Test::Unit, don't use RSpec.

Then there are a lot of preferences. I prefer factories to fixtures,
test-unit to rspec but I like shoulda (both matchers and context). I'm
playing around with capybara. We'll see how that goes. Oh. please, no
cucumbers for me.

If you are setting the rules, goes for what works, which obviously mean,
what you like. If you are not, I think the golden rule is to adapt... write
rspec when everybody around is doing so, write test-unit when everybody
around is doing so, run away when everybody around is not writing test.

J. Pablo Fernández <pupeno at pupeno.com> (http://pupeno.com)