[LRUG] Chef or Puppet

Kenneth Lee kenfodder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 06:59:01 PDT 2011

I've been using this little project called "conman"
https://github.com/moocode/conman

I know the person who wrote it so it's really just a set of scripts, we
just wanted a way to wrap essentially shell commands and write ruby all
the way.

It's not really ready for external use, but it might give you some
thoughts of what you are trying to achieve first. We just wanted to get
a server up and running from a clean install with 2-3 commands to having
it fully configured and ready for capistrano deployment in essentially
minutes and rolling our own achieved it. Our goal was to make idempotent
install scripts to get EC2 instances prepped without making images.

So my advice is play with both and see which fits best to your workflow,
stick with conventional ways first to learn then ask why. Have fun.

Ken