[LRUG] e-petitions site

Aleksandar Simic asimic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:34:24 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Jolyon Pawlyn
<jolyon.pawlyn at unboxedconsulting.com> wrote:
> Interesting points, thanks. We were really struggling yesterday, despite
> using a load balancer and caching and having load tested with jmeter. New
> relic and Airbrake helped enormously but unfortunately we weren't in a
> position to spin up more VMs and the SMTP server struggled. All in all not a
> great day but slightly unlucky to be in an especially silly part of silly
> season. Good news is that despite heavy traffic today, it's performed well.
> Would be more than happy to discuss the experience and what we've learned at
> LRUG if people are interested. Cheers,

This sounds interesting, especially since you mentioned that you ran
it under nginx and unicorn. I know some large sites use this setup,
but then they have also a budget that goes with it that allows them to
expand onto the virtual instances.

It be interesting to hear how those two components behaved and if you
had to do any exotic tweaks to them during the "storm".

Thanks,
Aleksandar