[LRUG] Sites drop off web

Simon Coffey simon at tribesports.com
Mon Aug 8 06:36:55 PDT 2011

On 8 August 2011 12:01, Richard Taylor <richard at richt.co.uk> wrote:

>> On Monday, 8 August 2011 at 11:57, Jay Caines-Gooby wrote:
>>
>> You can also use the --single-transaction option to mysqldump which
>> prevents it from locking up your app.
>
> If your database is large enough that this is a problem it is usually better to run your dump off a slave rather than the master.

A sort of half-way house we found is to use Percona's free xtrabackup
/ innobackupex tools. These perform non-blocking backups of running
mysql instances by copying the mysql data directory wholesale, then
restoring db consistency by running back through the transaction logs.

http://www.percona.com/docs/wiki/percona-xtrabackup:start

A big plus point for me is that it really does back up everything;
mysql config files, user tables, the lot; and it comes with a one-line
restore feature. The documentation is a bit scatty, mind.

Cheers,
Simon

--
Simon Coffey