[LRUG] puppet or chef [was: availability of talks]

mudge mudge at mudge.name
Thu Aug 18 23:44:57 PDT 2011

Good morning Vik,

The only thing Ubuntu/Debian-specific about my RVM pattern (see
https://github.com/mudge/managing_web_application_servers_with_puppet/blob/master/example/manifests/mcp.pp#L47-107
) is the list of RVM dependencies (as package names vary between
operating systems).

You can get the list of RVM dependencies for your package manager by
using `rvm notes` on a system or, alternatively, by looking at the
source of the `notes` command at
https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/blob/master/scripts/notes

For example, if you wanted to provision a CentOS box (assuming it uses
`yum` and has the EPEL repository enabled), you'd need to tweak the
`rvm-dependencies` package resource to something like the following:

package { 'rvm-dependencies':
  ensure => installed,
  name   => [
    'bash',