[LRUG] puppet or chef [was: availability of talks]

John Arundel john at bitfieldconsulting.com
Fri Aug 19 05:08:02 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Henry Garner <henry.garner at mac.com> wrote:
> I'm sure Stephen and John would appreciate me pointing out that their books on Chef and Puppet are recently released & imminent respectively. Mine is in the post :-)

Interestingly, RVM is one of the recipes provided in the said imminent
Puppet Cookbook, along with Vagrant, Rails, Passenger/Nginx, etc. So
if there is general interest in it I will lobby the Masters of LRUG to
allow me to come and present some of the Ruby-related stuff at one of
the meetings.

I was thinking of making all the code from the book (of which there is
a stupefying amount) available on GitHub. I don't know whether the
publishers are planning to supply a CD with it, but otherwise you'll
have to type all the listings in like rubbish BASIC games from
Sinclair User in 1982. So if anyone's got requests for particular
things, let me know and I'll put them online.

This blog post has got a rough list of stuff that's included:
http://bitfieldconsulting.com/puppet-cookbook

Disclaimer: Although I mostly do Puppet stuff in the day job, I'm a
Chef well-wisher, in that I don't wish it any specific harm.

Regards,
John
--
"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of
work to do."