[LRUG] Developing with OSX and vagrant?

Joel Chippindale joel.chippindale at econsultancy.com
Mon Aug 22 08:07:50 PDT 2011

After the puppet/chef/vagrant talks last week I've been playing with using
these tools for my rails development environments.

I'm not quite ready to ditch TextMate for vim so what I wanted to have was
some GUI apps (TextMate/Chrome to edit code/view the results) running on my
OSX host and a command line interface to a vagrant/puppet provisioned
headless Ubuntu VM which has all the appropriate libraries and gems
installed to run the rails app/cucumber features etc.

However the division between an OSX GUI and the Ubuntu command line is not
as clean as I would like. For example, in an ideal world "bundle open foo"
run on the VM guest would open the 'foo' gem in TextMate on the OSX host,
and "show me the page" steps in Cucumber would open the page in Chrome on
the OSX host.

Any else working like this? What do you do?

J.