[LRUG] Receiving a one-off payment from the U.S.

Graeme Mathieson mathie at woss.name
Fri Dec 9 02:24:33 PST 2011

Hi,

I looked into this a couple of years ago when I started working with a US client. It turned out, at the time, that PayPal was, overall, the easiest and cheapest option for the amount being transferred each month. Two things to take into consideration:

* For international bank transfers, the sending bank typically charges a fixed fee and the receiving bank sometimes does likewise. PayPal charges a percentage.

* For bank transfers, the bulk of the fees are paid by the sender, but with PayPal, all the fees are paid by the recipient.

* OK, three things. I'm sure it gets more or less complicated depending upon whether you've billed, and they're paying, in USD or GBP. My experience was billing and paying in GBP (because FreeAgent didn't do multi-currency invoicing at the time!).

At least that was my experience at the time. YMMV, etc, etc. :)

Cheers,

Graeme.

PS The minute a client mentions "cash flow issues" the faster the cash flows in your direction, the better!

On 9 Dec 2011, at 09:49, Andrew Stewart wrote:

> Hola El Rug,
>
> I have a customer in the U.S. who needs to pay me.  I'm not set up to receive credit card payments; he doesn't want to write a cheque or make a bank transfer.  It seems the only option is to use PayPal.
>
> But PayPal is horrible.  Are there any other ways for a for U.K. business to receive a payment from the U.S.?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Yours,
> Andy Stewart
>
> -------