[LRUG] Receiving a one-off payment from the U.S.

Paul Doerwald paul at liquidmedia.ca
Fri Dec 9 05:16:01 PST 2011

Hi Andrew,

I'm a Canadian who used to live in the UK and who had a number of US clients. Generally my US clients aren't averse to paying by cheque, but YOU'RE better off without a cheque (US cheques are fraught with problems and your money will be held for a month while the cheque clears), so I do find it strange that he's unwilling.

Bank transfers originating from the US have a percentage fee on them, which can quickly get quite expensive. Obviously PayPal does too (and no doubt higher) so I'm not sure why PayPal is better than Bank Transfer.

As for cash flow, that doesn't necessarily set alarm bells in my head. There are many legitimate reasons someone can have cash flow problems while still being completely above the board.

If I were guessing, he's paying for the work from his credit card, it may be easier to get money from his credit card into PayPal than it is to his bank.

I would give him a choice: pay by cheque, or pay by PayPal and cover your fees (or 50% of your fees, or something like that). See what he says. He really *should* be able to pay by cheque, even though it's a lousy instrument for you.

Paul.

--
Paul Doerwald
Chancellor