[LRUG] Not your usual job ad

Marco Iannone marco.iannone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 07:13:52 PST 2011

Hello lrug,

TL;DR: I'm at the early stages of building a very complex and exciting web
app (if I say so myself), I have early clients and funding, and I'm looking
for 2 web devs who want to join early and help to shape it.

A little more detail: I'm working on a web app that enable individuals and
organisations to manage their knowledge* in a smart way. Smart, both
because it makes use of lots of astute AI/NLP algorithms that do much of
the necessary work in the background, and because the UX is conceived using
ideas from decision theory to encourage people to contribute.

Where I am: background in engineering/math&stats/AI, worked somewhere in
between business, analytics and technology in many guises for many years. I
have: an early version of those AI algorithms, a fairly detailed
implementation plan (incl. wireframes, etc.), a few eager early clients,
and yes, enough seed funding to build a proper prototype, with more
forthcoming if all goes well.

What I am looking for: 2 web developers. The most important thing is that
they are 1) keen to join an early-stage startup, 2) excited about
fascinating intellectual challenges, of which this project is replete, and
3) willing to learn new things. Good experience with building web apps
would be great. Also important: London-based.
Technology stack to be determined in detail, though obviously Ruby would be
a welcome component. I can take care of the AI algorithms, so no need to
know about those (although if you're interested, you'll learn them).

I can offer a pretty competitive combination of cash and equity, entirely
negotiable, as are all the practicalities. At the beginning it'd be a 3
months job to build the prototype, but with the goal of creating the core
team for this company. Starting from January/February.
I'm primarily looking for individuals; it may be relevant to dev shops too,
if they're keen to see it as a partnership as opposed to a client job.

This is admittedly a little generic, but if it sounds intriguing, do
contact me at marco.iannone at gmail.com.

Marco

*at this stage, I define "knowledge" as any "digital object" that is 1)
somewhat self-contained, 2) rich in text and 3) worth storing for potential
future use.