[LRUG] Speeding up Specs and Cukes

Hakan Ensari hakan.ensari at papercavalier.com
Fri Feb 11 02:15:24 PST 2011

I have a question to you all LRUGers.

Being fed up with the excruciatingly slow boot of Rails when running tests, I finally got around to setting up Spork and Guard in a project. After some fiddling, everything seemed wired up. Or so I thought.

For a starter, I cannot do ruby-debug if I start with `bundle exec guard.` It does work if I start spork without guard, but what's the point of spork without guard?

Second bummer: Spork doesn't handle nested Cucumber feature folders out of the box. The answer to this I suppose is easier and involves some magic incantation in the `cucumber.yml` file requiring the feature folder etc., but I was so fed up with #1 that I did not get around figuring out the fix for this either.

Anyone with a functional relationship with the above tools care to share their story?

The gems involved -

* rspec (2.5.0)
* cucumber (0.10.0)
* cucumber-rails (0.4.0.beta.1 f3002fa)