[LRUG] "Designer code": with Ruby refactoring exercises

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 03:45:04 PST 2011

On 7 January 2011 09:53, Priit Tamboom <priit at mx.ee> wrote:

> By the way, it was my first pair programming experience and I kind of
> failed cos using different tools and flavours (like Dvorak'ish
> keyboard, linux os, no mac and vim with some .vimrc love etc.)
>
> What bothers me personally is that all those teams who are doing
> ping-pong, pair or other fancy stuff are using SINGLE machine only per
> pair. Basically it means I or other team members don't have much
> freedom left for developing own comfortable working environment.
> Basically now I should start worry about what is the latest "popular"
> flavours out there etc, what a nuisance.
>
> End of day, I just want to crack out good code and really not worry
> about the layer of desktop harmonization.
>
> Does anybody got statistics to show how many and what type of teams
> really using pair style?

I find a certain amount of humility works best when pairing.  If it's your
machine that is the pair machine for the day, find out if your partner is
comfortable in your preferred dev env and if not offer to teach them, or use
a backup env that everyone can use.  If it's not your machine, be willing to
learn about your partners environment and don't refuse to work because you
don't like their tools or how they've set them up.  It can also help to swap
"driver" machines every so-often that way you can both learn about other
toolsets.

You could also not use ping-pong techniques.  If it's not your machine and
you're not comfortable in the dev environment, don't drive.  Just talk about
how you want to code it up and let the owner of the machine do the typing.
 You'll flip to your machine in some future pairing session and then you can
drive.

It can feel like you're not being productive, but the advantages of code
quality far outweigh that feeling.

Cheers,