[LRUG] rvm install help!

Viktor Tron viktor.tron at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 06:13:38 PST 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:39:04 -0000, Jim Myhrberg <contact at jimeh.me> wrote:

> uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes

although you should pay attention to the collation and setting your db but
the above error
clearly shows that your app (or rake) is not finding MysqlCompat class.

This is most probably due to rake not finding the mysql gem.

first try:

$ rvm rake db:setup/db:migrate

if this does not work try to stick the environment to rvm install,
something like:

rvm 1.8.7
rvm gemset create tabascopizza (if you want project specific install of
gems)
env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" rvm 1.8.7 at tabascopizza gem install mysql --
--with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config

and then still stick rvm in front of rake

hope this helped

Once we are here, let me dump my woes on you:

I have had a lot of problems with rvm. if a globally installed rake is
called sometimes
it fails to find the gemset specific gems, also sometimes the default
environment is
not set and gems get installed globally, plus gemset specific bin paths
are sometimes not set.

Also, it seems there is a problem with gem install in that if binary
executables are found in the global
path, then gem install does not install the binaries.
This means that if you have a globally installed rake/rails/bundle then
any project/gemset specific
install will not invoke the right binary (because it is not installed) and
this is really annoying.

under rails 3, there is another funny issue, that if you use mysql2 adaptor
you still need mysql.
mysql also has to be in Gemfile (just being installed is not enough!)
otherwise you get uninitialised constant error

not sure but maybe related to this?
https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails/tickets/5464

Vik