[LRUG] Sites drop off web

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Fri Jul 22 07:57:34 PDT 2011

Hey Olly,

Thanks for these ideas!

On 22 Jul 2011, at 15:20, Olly Headey wrote:
> * I've seen similar problems in the past which related to managed backup.  Probably not the case here, although perhaps you have a 'noisy neighbour' on your machine who's doing some craziness at 04:30.

That's a good point.  I'll have to gather more data and perhaps then raise it with the VPS host.

> * What is your "Send notification when down" in Pingdom?  1?  Might be worth bumping to two to remove false positives.

Yes, it's 1.  I'll bump it up to 2.  What do have it at for FreeAgent?

However I don't tend to get false positives at other times of day; it would be nice to work out what's causing them here.

> * If you're using New Relic, have you tried enabling their Availability Monitoring?  Do they report the site as down also?

Not using New Relic...

Gerhard Lazu suggested pinging Pingdom from the VPS to test connectivity.  I'll set that up and see what happens.

> * What do you have PassengerMinInstances set to?

1 for most of the sites, 3 for one of them (Sparkle).  I'm also using PassengerPreStart.

Thanks again,

Andy
-------
http://airbladesoftware.com