[LRUG] [OT] On "This message may not have been sent by:"

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 04:20:28 PDT 2011

Dear all,

If you're suddenly seeing a bunch of "This message may not have been sent
by: some.one at gmail.com" warnings at the top of messages coming from this
list, allow me to put your fears at rest.

When I send a mail to the list I send it to the list address, it then
massages the mail and resends it out to everyone else on the list.  The mail
looks like it's coming from me, but it's actually come from the list
address.  This is fairly standard mailing list behaviour so that things like
reply-to work and all that.

Google apparently want everyone to use google groups and as their insane
drive to remove features from groups hasn't worked, they've started using
FEAR to as an incentive instead.  Yay!

Apparently you can tell gmail that a given email server is allowed to
pretend to be you via config and headers and stuff, but I've no idea if I
can tell the mailing list software (over which I have no direct control
really - it's hosted software) to provide the required headers for
*everyone* who might want to send mail from gmail to the list.

It may just have to be something we live with.  Unless I've read that "learn
more" link[1] wrong and there's a proper solution?

Muz

[1]:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&ctx=mail&answer=185812