[LRUG] Fixing Time marshalling

David Waller david.a.waller at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 29 01:19:21 PDT 2011

Hello LRUG,

I've tripped over a bug in Rails 3.0.9, where fractional seconds aren't
preserved when marshalling-unmarshalling a Time object.  (Hence breaking Times
that I stored in a session.)  This bug has already been fixed [1] but despite
that fix having been made in April, it wasn't included in Rails 3.0.9 when that
was released in June.

For now I've solved my own problem by copying the relevant part of the
ActiveSupport time/marshal.rb into my config/application.rb, so overriding the
Rails override with a fixed version.  That's okay for me, but is there a thing I
should be doing to ensure that this fix makes it into Rails 3.0.10, and so
doesn't affect anyone else?  (And allows me to remove the ugly hack from my
application.rb.)  Or do I just trust that the powers behind Rails have already
considered this and decided not to?

Thanks,

David

[1]