[LRUG] Sites drop off web

Gerhard Lazu gerhard at lazu.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 03:44:24 PDT 2011

Have a look at sar<http://sebastien.godard.pagesperso-orange.fr/man_sar.html>for
any weird patterns around that time. High iowait will hint to backups
running.

Do a reverse ping every 30s (VPS => pingdom if they support it) and see if
you get any probs around that time. This will rule out connectivity issues.

I had a similar issue in the past, it was down to network connectivity. It
wasn't as regular as yours, which makes me think that it is the backups in
your case.

Seriously though, get yourself a decent VPS provider, there are plenty to
choose from. The extra cost is worth not having hassles such as this one.

Gerhard