[LRUG] How does Rails decide how to parse ambiguous dates?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jul 26 09:32:24 PDT 2011

On 26/07/11 17:25, Matthew Rudy Jacobs wrote:
> I've read some of the responses to this
> but I'm going to say "why do you need to stick with this format?"

Because I have some fairly naive users, and getting them to use a
computer at all can be a bit of a struggle.  Seriously - I have users
whose tension levels go through the roof if even asked to sit at a
keyboard.  Asking them to adapt to a new date format is just too much.

The computer should adapt to the user, not the other way around.

ISO-format dates are undoubtedly much better, but they're not what the
man in the street is used to yet.

Thanks for the heads-up on the HTML5 date select, however support so far
seems to be confined to Opera and Chrome.  I'll certainly keep an eye on
that.

Cheers,
John