[LRUG] Best way to serialise a Ruby object?

Andrew McDonough andrew at andrewmcdonough.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 02:27:54 PDT 2011

Hi Andy

At the moment it's still just YAML, but there is support for custom
serialize methods (and for writing your own) in Rails 3.1, as
described by Aaron Patterson in his  RailsConf 2011 talk, "Double
Dream Hands: So Intense!" from around 16:00:

http://bit.ly/pABZwG

If you're wondering why the presentation has a strange name, watch the
last 10 minutes (from 40:00).  I do warn you though, it can't be
unwatched.

If you want to use something other than YAML in older Rails, you can
just serialize and deserialize yourself.

Andrew McDonough

---
CTO, Tribesports
http://tribesports.com