[LRUG] Sites drop off web

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Fri Jul 22 03:25:11 PDT 2011

Hola El Rug,

I have several Rails/Sinatra sites on a couple of RHEL VPSs.  Almost every day for several months at least, almost all the sites drop off the web for 2-4 minutes.  I know this because Pingdom notifies me at 4.30am.

As you can imagine, it's annoying.

Initially I thought this was caused by Passenger log rotation but, when I looked into it this morning, I realised the times don't match up.  Here are some details:

- Most sites go down most days.
- The sites go down at 4.30am and are back up 2-4min later (Pingdom checks every minute).
- The system cron runs its dailies, including logrotate, at 4.02am.
- My crontab has nothing around 4.30am.
- There's nothing in /var/log/cron around 4.30am.
- There's nothing in the httpd error logs around 4.30am.
- There's nothing in /var/log around 4.30am.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andy Stewart

-------