[LRUG] Sites drop off web

George Ornbo george at shapeshed.com
Fri Jul 22 03:38:36 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Andrew Stewart
<boss at airbladesoftware.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd go through a process of elimination here, but seems like it might
be related to an unknown cron task consuming too much memory on a low
memory VPS

* It could be a network issue with the hosts so I'd get them to
confirm there are no known issues
* It could be a DNS issues so get your DNS provider to confirm there
are no known issues
* It could be another service using cron. Check /etc/cron/cron.daily
and anything in /etc/cron/*
* It could be an OS level issue /var/log/syslog
* It could be a hardware issue /var/log/dmesg
* It could be your server running out of memory. You can set Monit up
to tell you if memory is running out. logrotate *might* cause memory
to run out.
* It could be your server stack crapping out. I'd use something like
Monit to tell you if a server process dies.

--
George Ornbo
http://shapeshed.com