[LRUG] Puppet Users

gareth rushgrove gareth.rushgrove at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 02:55:04 PDT 2011

On 22 June 2011 10:10, mudge <mudge at mudge.name> wrote:
> We've been using Puppet at Nature for a little while now and I'm keen
> to share techniques and best practices with others in the community.
>
> I'm also currently intrigued by something Gareth Rushgrove presented
> at Scottish Ruby Conference this year (slides at
> http://morethanseven.net/2011/04/02/Vagrant-at-the-guardian.html ):
> the idea of using configuration management such as Puppet or Chef for
> provisioning virtual machines with Vagrant to provide consistent
> development environments.

Shameless plug I know but here's the rather rapid lightning talk I gave.

http://confreaks.net/videos/579-scotlandruby2011-lightning-talks-part-2

I did a longer talk at FOSDEM this year on a similar subject, although
the audience was mainly sysadmin or operations folk rather than
developers:

http://www.slideshare.net/garethr/config-managament-for-development-environments-6836888

Even if Vagrant/virtualisation isn't for you, using Chef or Puppet to
manage local development environments is still a really good idea. You
can do it on OS X as well, some good links here:

http://jtimberman.posterous.com/managing-my-workstations-with-chef

Gareth