[LRUG] An Intern Saidfmer...

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 17:39:12 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Abdel A Saleh <abdel.a.saleh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> We've had interns in the past albeit not programmers but we've always
> managed to work something out maintaining a good relationship with them. In
> fact, one of our Curators first joined us as an intern.
> We're not really looking for a one of slave but for a brilliant person who
> can join us in our long term journey to create something awesome and kick
> ass.

As may be - justify it to yourself anyway you like, but you will still
almost certainly be in breach of the law if you don't pay minimum wage
to anyone who is doing work for your company (whether you call their
position an internship or not). In fact, according to the examples
given at the links below, any offer of further paid work after the
internship actually tips the balance in favour of the internship being
an employment legally, and therefore liable for the national minimum
wage.

There's more useful information here:
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1081674061&type=RESOURCES
http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/openpopup?itemId=1081658393&type=ONEOFFPAGE

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers,

Tim.

(I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice)