[LRUG] Greetings and a quick Sinatra question.

Dan Higham dan.higham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 05:10:23 PDT 2011

Hi All,

This is my first post to the LRUG mailing list, so hello, nice to make everyones acquaintance.

I am building a Sinatra application at the moment and have decided to run with CoffeeScript for all my client side script needs. Setup is pretty standard, I have a .coffee file in my views folder and am rendering any requests for /coffee/*.js as follows;

get '/coffee/*.js' do
coffee params[:splat][0].to_sym
end

looks OK right? I had just one coffee file but now it's getting pretty cumbersome and I need to split things up a little so I create a couple more coffee files and make sure they are included in the main markup. Reload my app, make a new request for the page and Ruby just chokes, 100% CPU, response never comes back to the browser.

It seems that everything is cool, until Ruby starts trying to compile more than one coffeescript file at a time.

Any experience with this problem would me much appreciated, I am using OS X and I have "therubyracer" gem installed so coffee-script should be defaulting to V8, although I am not 100% sure on that!

Cheers

Dan