[LRUG] Coding meet up

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Mon May 16 04:37:51 PDT 2011

On 16 May 2011 12:15, Graham Ashton <graham at effectif.com> wrote:

> On 16 May 2011, at 12:05, Andrew McDonough wrote:
>
> > I'm also keen on more practical evenings, and I'd be happy to hold
> > some in the Tribesports office.  We're located beside Hoxton station,
> > and our office could fit about 20 comfortably or 30 at a squeeze.  The
> > only issue is we only have about 12 chairs, so I'd probably need to
> > order a few folding ones.  We also have a digital projector for
> > presentations.
>
> That'd be very handy for me.
>
> I've been to the Python dojo a few times and really enjoy the "sit down and
> code on a problem" format.
>
> One of the things the Python guys do is to limit the number of people who
> can go to a single event. I suspect this is because there's only so much
> room in the office they use, but it also makes the evening feel a little
> more personal. It's just a bummer if you want to go and don't manage to book
> a place on eventwax fast enough...

There are plenty of ruby companies in London, I wonder if these sorts of
meetings could rotate through multiple companies / venues.  Everyone can
offer to run one and reduce the burden on their company and hopefully more
people would attend if it's in difference places each time (overall, rather
than on a given night).  The downside is of course that it has an increased
effort on the part of the organiser to find a company each time.

Speaking of which, do we need an "organiser" to keep momentum on this?  And
if so, do they want a place on lrug.org to talk about these things?

Muz