[LRUG] A question on DRYness on testing methods that get / set state

Chris Parsons chris.p at rsons.org
Wed Nov 23 04:53:42 PST 2011

On 23 Nov 2011, at 11:50, Tom Stuart wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2011, at 11:47, Steve Tooke wrote:
>> Not exactly what you're after - but Avdi Grimm's new book is an interesting look at taking a much more object oriented view of building a rails app. It covers some of the same sort of ground.
>
> And, if you've read the GOOS book (http://growing-object-oriented-software.com/) and know how to use RSpec, you probably already have all the knowledge you need to do this.

Corey Haines has been giving a few specifics on how to pull out tests:

http://confreaks.net/videos/641-gogaruco2011-fast-rails-tests

Also Gary talks about it a lot in Destroy all Software:

http://www.destroyallsoftware.com

(I'll have coupons soon: so find me at some future LRUG if you want one :)

Steve Klabnik has written some blog points about it too:

http://blog.steveklabnik.com/2011/09/22/extracting-domain-models-a-practical-example.html

HTH

Chris

--