[LRUG] Battleships last night

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 01:48:17 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Even though my own Rear Admiral h-lame was knocked out in the first round I
really enjoyed working on my bot and seeing what everyone else had come up
with.  To that end, I wonder if Paul could put all the contestants on github
so I can poke around and see why mine was so crap?

Watching the games last night I was struck that most people had gone for a
hunt vs. kill mode.  The hunt modes seemed mostly to diagonally stripe the
board until a hit is made.  The kill modes seemed mostly to circle the hit
looking for other hits and then track along that "hit path" till it ran out
of hits.  Anyone implement their hunt vs. kill modes in an interesting way?

I also wonder if anyone else took an approach that was markedly different
from this?  For example Gunther, the glorious winner, took a completely
different approach about finding all the permutations of how the ships fit
into the known board state and then fire at the position that has a ship in
it in the most board permutations.  A really smart approach, and a winning
one too!

Finally, did anyone do anything interesting with ship placement?  I saw at
least one bot was only placing the boats on the edges, and conversely one
bot that would never place boats on the edges, and I'm sure there was at
least one bot that always used the same boat placement.

Cheers,

Murray