[LRUG] Good Rails course in London?

Sam Livingston-Gray geeksam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:09:50 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Graham Ashton <graham at effectif.com> wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2011, at 17:54, Sam Livingston-Gray wrote:
>
>> It's not specifically Rails 3 focused, but I recently took the "Owning
>> Rails" course and highly recommend it:  http://owningrails.com/
>
> That does look good.
>
> I think there's a definite style to the Rails source.

...no comment.  ;>

> Does the course focus on how to interpret it the patterns used, or is it more about how to easily
> dive into the code, step through it in the debugger, useful tools like pry, and that kind of thing?

It's less hands-on with Rails itself -- there's a lot of distracting
detail in Rails, but IIRC there are one or two exercises where you
have to go track something down in the Rails source -- and more an
exploration of the patterns involved.  Marc-Andre walks the class
through building a bare-bones mini-framework that takes a request from
Rack, routes it to a controller, which renders a view, and passes the
result back to Rack.  When I took it, he did introduce the 'gemedit'
gem, but didn't touch on ruby-debug or pry -- so, Rails source is
involved, but you're looking at it in $EDITOR, not $DEBUGGER.

He does include some good cheatsheets and slides (which aren't
licensed to share) and has the mini-framework on a publicly-visible
GitHub repository, but the focus is mostly on building general
knowledge of some of the Ruby tricks that Rails leans heavily on, and
understanding where things *should* be so that you have a chance of
finding the specific feature you need later.

Hope this helps,
-Sam