[LRUG] Battleships last night

Simon Coffey simon at tribesports.com
Tue Oct 11 07:00:09 PDT 2011

On 11 October 2011 09:48, Murray Steele <murray.steele at gmail.com> wrote:
> To that end, I wonder if Paul could put all the contestants on github
> so I can poke around and see why mine was so crap?

I'm happy to have mine laid bare. I should say that it wasn't
originally implemented as one massive class; I hurriedly copied all
the methods and state into one blob at the last minute when it didn't
seem to work with the whizzy new class loader. Makes it a bit
unreadable, sorry.

> Anyone implement their hunt vs. kill modes in an interesting way?

The only even vaguely interesting thing about my kill mode was that
when trying to work out which direction the ship lay in, it preferred
the direction in which the most empty water lay, as a quick'n'dirty
proxy for working out the likelihoods. I think it works out the same.

Paul, is there any chance you could also post that fitness test you
mentioned you were using? I'd be interested to see some of the stats
coming out of that...

Cheers,
Simon