[LRUG] Compiling native extensions during deployment?

Daniel Lucraft dan.lucraft at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 06:38:48 PDT 2011

 Hi all,

question about the current Ruby Way. We're moving to Bundler, and it seems the thing to do is to run "bundle install --deployment" when deploying, which will install the gems from vendor/cache into vendor/bundle.

Fine. Except what do we do with native extensions? We're not wild about having the compiler toolchain installed on all our appservers, partly for security reasons.

Is there something obvious we're missing about how to deploy native extensions with bundler?

thanks
Dan

Daniel Lucraft

danlucraft.com/blog