[LRUG] Writing specs for the time-complexity of a method

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 03:52:16 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Tom Stuart <tom at therye.org> wrote:
>As a BDD sympathizer, I'd humbly submit that your time-complexity requirement stems solely from your specific purpose of creating some code with explanatory value for a talk. This doesn't seem like the kind of requirement that arises in the 'real world'.

Actually, this is 'real world' code (for work, rather than ruby manor
stuff) - We've got a *huge* (in the order of hundreds of thousands)
set of strings (specifically names of locations) that we want to match
within the text of web pages - in this context it seems to me like the
required performance characteristics are already a known quantity!

Cheers,

Tim