[LRUG] Testing standards

Anthony Green anthony.green at bbc.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 06:04:43 PDT 2011

chat-request at lists.lrug.org wrote:
> Subject: [LRUG] Testing standards
>
> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick question really, and one that I'm sure could kick off a fight,
> but do you guys who work in teams have any testing standards that you stick
> to?  For instance, which libraries you use, what sort of tests&  coverage
> you expect etc?  Do you have any requirements from devs before they commit
> or are you all fairly free and easy;)  ?
>
> Thoughts more than welcome.

I've written/contributed to many test strategies this past year. This is
what I wrote on 'The Evolution of Test Understanding':

What we have observed is that many developer's understanding of testing
follows roughly this evolution pattern, and that a mature understanding
of Test-driven development is best achieved through prolonged and
disciplined practice.

1. Speculative coding phase
   1.1 No tests
   1.2 Post implementation tests

2. Crossover phase
   2.1 Test-first development
   2.2 Test-driven development

3. Test awareness phase
  3.1 Test-driven design
  3.2 Behaviour-driven development
  3.3 Deliberate Discovery, Systems Thinking

An immature team displaying speculative coding practices are often
cynical about the value of test-driven development. During the crossover
phase teams 'cargo cult' practices without looking into or developing a
deeper understanding of it's purpose and values. A team that is
test-aware demonstrate an understanding of the link between their test
approach and object-orientated analysis and design: they'll combine
testing with other techniques such as Just-in-Time UML, spiking, and
refactoring to patterns.

For Classical TDDers the definitive work is Kent Beck's Test Driven
Development by Example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0321146530

and for followers of London School Steve Freeman and Nat Pryce's Growing
Object-Oriented Software Guided by Tests
http://www.growing-object-oriented-software.com/

--
Anthony Green
Apprentice Developer : BBC Future Media