[LRUG] Looking to meet...

Glenn Gillen glenn at rubypond.com
Wed Sep 14 06:31:29 PDT 2011

On 14 Sep 2011, at 14:24, Michael Pavling wrote:
> On 14 September 2011 14:15, Chris Kimpton <chris at kimptoc.net> wrote:
>>> On 13 September 2011 21:07, Ben Griffiths <bengriffiths at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is this *really* a pitch for "make me money for nothing in return"?
>>> :-/
>>
>> Now now - thats not fair

>> there is the experience you would gain from
>> this - thats got to be worth quite a bit, especially to a junior dev.
>
> I would prefer that they got "market salary" for market experience...
> but to be honest, if I get one more "this'll look great on your CV"
> proposal, I might just go postal (or sarcastically point the recruiter
> at http://www.no-spec.com/)

Not that I know Ben particularly well personally, but I suspect this has now been taken a bit out of his intended context. From my perspective he has a history of building some really interesting teams with great people and working on challenging projects. And given his honest and care-free demeanour maybe his "hey I'm still negotiating funding so can't actually promise anything, so I'll make a joke out of actually promising nothing" has been mistaken as an attempt to unfairly rip people off because it actually happens far too frequently.

If I wasn't already committed to something else, I'd certainly give it consideration. Irrespective of "market salary" or that it's apparently for a "junior dev" (which is probably dictated more by budget than desire).