[LRUG] Ru3y Manor diversity

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Tue Sep 20 04:17:45 PDT 2011

On 20 Sep 2011, at 11:37, Glenn Gillen wrote:

> So is the problem here actually "we need more women employed as developers?" and not "we need more women attending tech conferences?". Again, I'm naively assuming that the former would naturally increase the latter.

That's another problem, but obviously has a key role within the problem of attendance/speaking at conferences.

25% of scientists, engineers and programmers are women. Less than 5% of OSS developers. That needs to change, clearly, but even taking that balance into account, can you honestly say that 25% of attendees at all tech conferences you've been to or LRUG meetings are women? Or even that as many as 5% of the attendees at a FLOSS conference?